Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Best Yet


One of my favourite chicken rice places would be Yet Con located at Purvis Street. I've only been there twice so far, but it is enough for me to highly recommend it. Everything about it is "old school"; the tiles, the tables and chairs, the old cashier man(dressed in his pyjama pants) and the abacus on his counter top.

We had dinner there last night, vastly different from my initial request to have something "soupy". We ordered chicken, sambal kang kong and Hainanese pork chop. The chicken meat was really good; it was fresh and not drenched in sauce. Of all the Hainanese pork chops, this one is the best I've had. The vegetable deserves some praise too! I meant to order white rice but they had sold out (honest!) so we had the chicken rice instead. I quite liked the onion bits hidden among the grains. The chilli, however, didn't do it for me. I found it a tad bit too salty and had no heat at all.

Good thing we were there relatively early. Ten minutes into ordering our food, a queue had formed at the door. This place is really popular. I think it offers what people are looking for: straighforward, authentic Hainanese chicken rice that is good because the business believes in preserving traditions. It is sad that there is high likelihood for the restaurant to disappear soon if no one continues the business. So do yourself a favour today.

No comments: